Thursday, November 8, 2012

Maine Lighthouses 7

Lubec Channel Light
Photo by:  Cherri

Bruce and I were driving to visit West Quoddy light when we spied this one from the road across a farmer's field.  I hopped out and took a quick shot of it, but had to do some research to determine which light it was.

Built in 1890, this light is on the west side of the Lubec channel.  It is often referred to as the "Spark Plug."  See any resemblance?

The base of the light is a cylindrical iron caisson 33 feet in diameter and 48 feet high A fifth order Fresnel lens was installed in the lantern with a white flash every 15  seconds from 61 feet above sea level.  The superstructure was painted brown until 1903, when it was repainted white.  There were once miniature brass lighthouses on on each baluster of the gallery, but have since been removed. The tower contained five levels, two of which were living quarters for the keepers.  The lower deck was a combination living room and kitchen The next deck was a bedroom.

Here is an interesting story about one of the keepers:  
 
Elson Small, who went on to a 28-year career at several stations, became the assistant keeper in November 1920, weeks before he married Loring Myers’s, his co-keeper's niece, Constance “Connie” Scovill. Myers and Small alternated two-day stays at the lighthouse.

When 19-year-old Connie went with her husband to visit the lighthouse for the first time, she was intimidated by the idea of climbing the 30-foot ladder. In her book, The Lighthouse Keeper’s Wife, she later wrote:

I had been afraid of boats and the sea since a cousin teasingly rocked a rowboat we were in when I was three years old. I never learned to row until after I married Elson. I was also afraid of heights, but trying not to show just how scared I was, I said to Elson, “I can never climb up there."

"Oh yes, you can. Just grab the rungs and I’ll be right behind you.”
So, with him behind me telling me to look up and never down, I made it. To this day I have kept his words with me and when I’d get discouraged I would think of them. They’ve helped me a good many times to overcome a panicky feeling and do what had to be done.

There are other stories about some of the keepers at the following website:
.
In 1989 the light was to be discontinued, but local residents mounted a "Save the Sparkplug" campaign. Automobile sparkplugs were handed out to gain attention for the cause. In 1992, a $700,000 renovation restored Lubec Channel Light to its best condition in decades. 

I'm glad we didn't miss this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment