Monday, October 15, 2012

Maine Lighthouses 1

Cape Neddick Lighthouse
Cape Neddick Lighthouse
Photo by:  Cherri Nowell

Photo by:  Cherri Nowell

This is the Cape Neddick Lighthouse on the southern coast of Maine, north of Portland and South of Kennebunkport.  It is also known as the Nubble Light since it sits on a small rocky island off the coast named the Nubble.
The 41 ft. cast-iron tower was authorized by President Rutherford B. Hayes and first illuminated in July 1879.  The distinctive red oil house was added in 1902 and the walkway connecting the keeper's house and the tower added in 1911.  An 1891 fourth-order lens is still in use.  A bucket suspended on a line across the channel was used to transport supplies.  It is still used today for maintenance equipment.  The light itself was automated in 1987.

Upon researching the lighthouse I found there are miniature cast iron lighthouses on each of the posts surrounding the lantern room.  If I had known that when I was there I would have zoomed in on those posts.  If anyone has a photo of them, I would appreciate it if you would share it.  Thanks.

Another interesting fact is that there was a past feline resident of the lighthouse who weighed 19 lbs.  At one time he attracted as many visitors to the lighthouse as did the house itself.  He allegedly was the best mouser in Maine.  Supposedly, he regularly swam the channel to visit with mainland friends and then returned to the lighthouse to continue his post as resident mouser.  

As an owner of a 20 lb. cat, I can't imagine such an athletic endeavor.  I had to get a step stool for my cat so he could get up onto the dryer to eat her dry food.  She has to take a running start to make it to the bed.  I'm trying to put her on a diet.  Maybe if I get some mice she will get more exercise.

Cape Neddick Lighthouse is owned today by the town of York and managed by the Friends of Nubble Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment